Sunday, February 8, 2009

Could I Ask For More?


This week, people will run wild trying to find that perfect gift to prove to their loved one just how much they mean to them. Card sales will sky-rocket. Chocolate sales will be through the roof, and don't even get me started on the price of a dozen roses. Yes, this week is Valentine's Day, that one special day we set aside to tell that special someone that we love him or her.

Jeff and I are not buying gifts for each other. Don't get me wrong; we love each other. Oh, let me tell ya. There is a whole lotta lovin' in this house! But we decided that we didn't need to use the debit card to show it. We are writing letters to each other for Valentine's Day (Jeff, that's your reminder in case you have forgotten!:))

Today, I heard someone talking about their spouse, and it made me sad. I didn't hear a lot of joy. I didn't hear any excitement about the relationship. I didn't hear trust or friendship or commitment. What I heard sounded like "I'm stuck with this person for the rest of my life". My heart broke because of that.

I can tell you that my love for Jeff today is stronger than it has ever been. I can tell you that he has become the closest friend and supporter I have ever known. I can tell you that he knows my needs before I speak them, and better yet, he tries to meet those needs! I can tell you that he recognizes when I am struggling with a bad day sometimes before I even know why I am upset. His voice reassures me.

He still opens the door for me EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO SOMEWHERE! He still holds my hand, just because. He still puts his arm around me and pulls me close. He still winks at me sometimes when he is up front in church. He still kisses me first when he comes home in the evenings.

I still get butterflies when I see him walk in the room. I still get that goofy grin in the middle of the day when I think about him. I still love it when he calls me "Bird".

No doubt about it, I am one blessed woman. Could I ever ask for more? Jeff, you have truly colored my world. I'll be your Valentine this year, and forever.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

awwww How sweet!!! Hope your Valentines day is great!!!

Debbie

Robo said...

That is exactacly how Kim and I think . Why buy something for one day when EVERY day is a gift !

Jeff Prosser said...

I sometimes forget to open the door for you...thanks Bird...I love ya!

Bird's Words said...

that's okay Jeff. I will stand outside and wait until you remember :)
I love you!

Jo Ann said...

You two and Chris and Shelly make our hearts happy!!! We love you all......Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Holly,

God Blessed me with a spouse that never lets a day go by to tell me I am his Queen...he holds my hand, sneaks a kiss, opens the doors, gets my coffee & brings it upstairs every morning...I could also go on & on...for all that I have, I never once let it go by to say how greatful I am and how blessed I feel. We are 32 down and going strong! IT IS SO WONDERFUL, ISN'T IT!
Love you ALL....

Vicki

Lydia said...

thank you for being such a great example of a Godly couple. I appreciate this about you and Jeff. I have failed Geron in the past and am trying to be a wife who will bring her husband praise. Thanks for the good example!