Monday, June 23, 2008

A lot of catchin' up...

I haven't been good about keeping up with blogging about the books I have been reading. So, here are the latest I have enjoyed.

1. Faith of My Fathers by John McCain with Mark Salter
I realized a couple of months ago that I really don't know a lot about the presidential candidates. So, in order to get a better understanding of McCain, I picked up his autobiography. I typically don't read autobiographies, but I will admit that I found this one to be very good. I still don't know a whole lot about his political stance on different things, but I do have a better understanding about his background. I plan to read Obama's autobiography too, in case any of you think I am biased :)




2.
Every Young Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker
Jeff and Bryan are actually working through the workbook of this great writing. I wanted a better understanding of what they were talking about, so I decided to read the book. I will say this is a MUST-READ for the parents of boys as it deals with the sexual temptations they face every day.




3.
Who I Am In Christ by Neil T. Anderson
This book was loaned to me by a co-worker and friend. What a blessing! It discussed the tendency we have to doubt God's love for us and how we can stop trying to earn His favor and simply walk in the beauty of His grace.







4. Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

This is the story of 12 year old Veronica Swan, a mormon girl whose life was forever changed when her two younger sisters were brutally murdered. Although it is fictional, it speaks honestly of forgiveness and its importance in healing from our hurts. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!






5.
What Remains: A memoir of fate, friendship and love by Carole Radziwill
This is Carole's memoir of life with her husband, the nephew of Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and their best friends John and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Carole's husband was diagnosed with cancer and expected to die at any time when John and Carolyn's plane disappeared. The book is an indepth look at life and death. It doesn't matter what walk of life you are from; grief is the same.



6. The Shack by William P. Young

This was my favorite of all of these books! This book actually blew my mind. It tells the story of a man whose daughter was murdered in a shack. Years later, struggling with anger, bitterness and a fallen trust in God, he receives an invitation to the shack. There, he encounters the Trinity in human form. This book is truly stunning and beautiful in its depiction of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It's a perfect gift for anyone who has ever lost someone they love unexpectedly and has questions about whether or not God is really there and really cares. YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

The last one definitely caught my eye--good cover work, I guess. Now, after reading your post about it, I really really want to read it!