Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day



When I married him almost 15 years ago, I wasn't thinking about the kind of father he would be. I am not sure you can really know that until you see it firsthand. No, I married him selfishly, because I wanted to spend every moment possible with him. But in February of 1996, I got some competition in my time with Jeff.

From the very beginning, Jeff was an incredible dad. He changed the diapers, got up for midnight feedings (without complaint), cleaned up spit up (and worse), sat through doctor's appointments. He has been to parent-teacher conferences, listened to talent shows, sat through aikido ceremonies, waited during drum lessons. He has worn his Vans shoes because Bryan thinks they are his "coolest pair". When you see him in his Batman t-shirt, it's because that too is Bryan's favorite. He loves making his son smile, and I love watching it.

One of my life's most beautiful blessings is watching him love Bryan. I love the sound of their laughter as they play Xbox together. I love the sound as they wrestle together. But my favorite is to listen to them pray together. It is sweet, innocent, truly majestic. Jeff's heart is for Bryan to grow into a Godly man, and he is modeling that for him now. If Bryan grows to be like his dad, even partly, this world is in for a wonderful thing!

Thank you Jeff, for being the dad you are to Bryan, and for sharing the dream of our little Ellie with me. I can't wait to watch you with your "daddy's girl" like I have with your "daddy's boy".

I love you,
Bird


And to my dad.... thank you for the love you have shown to me, the way I loved to run to the end of the road to meet you when you were coming home from work when I was a little girl. Thank you for the way you cry when we sing together and for all those trips to piano lessons. Thank you for loving mom the way you do. You were and ARE a great dad, a blessing to me. I love you!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Best father's day post I've ever read. You have mighty men of God in your life, Holly! We both do, and for that we have much to be thankful for!!